Fruit-Inspired Vegan Baked Doughnuts Recipe
These fruit-inspired vegan baked doughnuts from Dominique Evans of The Vegan Fiesta are too cute not to share. She recreated a watermelon, pineapple, orange, apple, kiwi and strawberry. Get the recipe below and happy national doughnut day!
Baked Vegan Doughnuts
[makes 20 mini-doughnuts or 10 regular-sized doughnuts]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. (scant) nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Egg replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. cinnamon apple sauce)
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tsp. non dairy milk
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. of Earth Balance butter
- Splash of orange extract
- Vegan food coloring (optional for colors)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into an ungreased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers―this will make for more even, prettier doughnuts but isn’t crucial.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean. Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- For glaze: Mix together in a bowl. If too thick add for milk.
- For colored glaze: Use separate bowls for each color. Use only two drops of color to get the neon pastel look. Dip doughnut in and twist and gently pull out of icing.
- Decorate with icing for the details and enjoy!
Photography by Dominque Evans Original baked vegan doughnut recipe from PETA